Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Veggie Pita Pizzas

I've been sitting on this post for quite awhile but with getting ready to move and all, life has gotten in the way. But, no more excuses!

I saw several recipes for baked pitas and took what I liked from each of them and came up with this menu staple. This is a super easy and quick weeknight dinner item. It's also great when you have leftover fresh veggies you need to use up before they go bad!


Veggie Pita Pizzas

4 pitas, I like to use whole wheat
1 large chicken breast, diced
barbecue sauce
1-2 large carrots or several baby carrots, cut into strips
1/2 large green pepper, cut into strips
1/2 large red pepper, cut into strips
1/2 onion, cut into thin strips
shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400°

Cut your chicken and place in a skillet with a little bit of oil, not too much though. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. You could also add some other seasonings, I sometimes do, but there isn't too much of a need. Drizzle a little of your favorite barbecue sauce over the chicken so it is lightly coated. Cook thoroughly.

While the chicken is cooking, arrange your four pita breads on a large cookie sheet. Divide your vegetables evenly between the four breads.

Divide the chicken evenly between the pita breads. Drizzle more barbecue sauce over the chicken and veggie piles. I like to do it in a striped pattern to make sure it's covered.

Top each pita with a good amount of cheese. I use cheddar, but a Monterey Jack works well too.

Place in oven and back for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melty and bread is slightly crunchy.


These can be really messy to eat, so I suggest cutting in half or quarters with a pizza cutter.
Feel free to mix up based on the veggies you have on hand (I think tomatoes would be really yummy!) - these are just my typical ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?