Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Make your own Christmas wreath with tree trimmings


We got our first real tree as a married couple this year. We've been wanting to get one since we both grew up going to the Christmas tree farms, picking one out and cutting it down. But, for one reason or another, it hasn't worked out for us to have a real tree until this year. We didn't go to a farm, just went to our local hardware store, but I am still beyond thrilled to have a real tree and the smell filling my home!

We brought the extra tree trimmings home with us, not sure what we would use them for. Since I used my wreath indoors this year, we were lacking one on our front door. I thought I'd take my try at making a wreath from the trimmings.

It was SO easy! and ABSOLUTELY FREE! (I had all the materials, you may have to buy a few things)

I can't help but share!

Here's what you'll need:
  • one or two wire coat hangers
  • pliers/snips to unbend the hangers and cut the wire
  • wire (anything you can twist and bend. I had picture hanging wire we weren't using)
  • tree trimmings
  • pruning sheers
  • pinecones, berries, ribbons, etc for adorning


1. Start by cutting off the top part of the hanger.

    2. You'll then want to untwist the hanger. Bend the hanger into a circular wreath shape to get an idea of the size. This is where you might need to attach a second hanger depending on how large you want your wreath to be.

    3. Attach the two hangers, or the two hanger ends, together by twisting the ends so they are secure.


    4. You should then have a complete and enclosed the circle.


    5. Find a few good branches from the trimmings that you can start with. I had a few that had a natural curve to them to use as my base.

    6. Attach the tree trimmings to the circle frame using the wire. You may want to attach it in a few places to make sure it is secure.

    7. Continue around the frame with branches until you have a good base.

    8. Start adding more branches to fill in the holes. You don't necessarily have to attach each piece with the wire, or you'll get a very flat look. Instead, weave the branches in between secure ones and use the wire only when necessary.

    9. Hold your wreath up to make sure you're happy with the fullness.

    10. Add any embellishments you'd like. (My husband found me these while he was out running. He even carried them all the way back for me!)

    Show off your wreath to all your friends!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    What's nourishing you today?