Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fettuccine Alfredo

Over the years I've tried several different alfredo sauce recipes and have tweaked many of them. I think I've finally got it right and decided to share with everyone. As with most of my recipes, the measurements might not be exactly accurate, so please add/subtract based on your tastes!

Fettuccine Alfredo

1 T butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
mushrooms cut into pieces (I use canned and very little since my husband is not a fan)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 heaping T flour
1 t salt
generous 1/2 t pepper (I always add more later)
1/2 C half and half
1 1/2 C milk
scant 1/4 C parmesan cheese
generous 1 C sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese

A note on prep: I use block cheddar for this recipe and grate the cheese. This seems to give a better consistency than bagged shredded cheese, and it melts a lot quicker too.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add in the onion, mushroom, and garlic.


Saute until onion is translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until well coated and mixed.

Slowly pour in milk and half and half. Stir for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and there are no clumps of the flour mixture left.

Slowly add in the cheeses a little at a time, stirring continually until melted. With the Parmesan, make sure the cheese melts evenly as using grated can tend to get clumpy.

Keep warm and serve over hot fettuccine noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?