Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Turkey Enchiladas

Enchiladas was one of the first recipes I developed on my own from researching. The best part is my husband likes these since they don't contain too much sour cream. Less sour cream makes them healthier too, right? If you forget the cheesy goodness...

I also almost always make these with ground turkey instead of beef. I like the way they turn out better, and the lean meat makes me feel good about serving a healthier alternative. We didn't eat ground turkey growing up, so my college roommates introduced me. I remember I thought it strange at first, but now I regularly substitute it for ground beef!

Enchiladas

Makes about 5 enchiladas, perfect for the two of us and leftovers

2/3 lb ground turkey or beef
half small onion, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped (I usually use green, but whatever is on hand)
1/2 t cumin
~ 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 C sour cream (I use fat free)
1 can enchilada sauce (medium or mild, based on your heat preference)
5 corn (or flour) tortillas

Brown the meat in a skillet with the onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle all with the cumin and if you'd like to add more heat, crushed red pepper flakes.
This time I used red bell pepper since it was on hand.

Drain the meat. Sprinkle about 1/8 cup or so of the cheese and the sour cream into the skillet. Mix well until the mixture is coated.

Pour a small amount of the enchilada sauce onto a plate or in a bowl. I use a plate since mine have a high lip which ensures I don't slop all over. Place a tortilla in the sauce, coating both sides evenly.


Spoon about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture onto the tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly and place in a baking dish.

Repeat until you have used the meat mixture. Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
I miscounted my remaining tortillas and only had four, which meant they were a little more full than I'd like.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.

A quick tip: The tighter the enchiladas are in the baking dish, the crispier the tortillas will be since the extra sauce it sits in can make it a little gooey.

Remember to always customize a recipe to your tastes and liking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?