Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sandwich Roll

This recipe is one of my husband's favorites, if not his favorite :). I got the dough recipe from my mother-in-law, but I use it differently than her original recipe called for. I call this a sandwich roll, but it's kind of like a stromboli. The bread has a pleasant sweet taste. The best part I think is that it's different every time depending on what we have on hand or our tastes that day! A totally customizable meal!

Sandwich Roll

Dough
3/4 C water
1 T butter, softened
2 C flour
2 T dry milk
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 1/4 t yeast

Place the ingredients in bread machine according to your machine's instructions. For instance, mine says to put the sugar and salt in opposite corners. Use the dough setting on the machine. Mine takes about an hour and a half.

Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Gather your ingredients for the filling:

Filling
your choice of lunchmeats (salami, chicken, turkey, ham, Canadian bacon, pepperoni)
your choice of cheese (Cheddar, provolone, mozzarella, Colby Jack)
salt
pepper
basil, Italian seasoning
peppers (bell or spicy)

(At the end of this post I've listed some of my combinations)

As you can see, there isn't a strict formula for this, just use what you like, and what sandwich meats you'll be OK with eating for leftover sandwiches. We avoid ham since my husband isn't a fan, but it would probably taste very good with the salami and pepperoni. If you're unsure of what spices to put on, stick with just a little salt and pepper and go without the others. The warmth of the sandwich tastes good on it's own too.


Place your meats and cheeses on the dough. You can alternate between the layer or every other layer, just don't put all the cheese and all the meats together - you want them to be nicely mixed.

The little red dots are mini pepperonis I got on sale instead of normal size :)

You can place the fillings this direction as seen in the picture, or you can start your layer at the short end. Last time I made this I started at the short end and found it was a little easier to roll.

After you've finished layering, roll up on one side. Roll it tight, but not so tight you rip the dough! Fold the ends under and pinch along the seam to make a nice seal. Place the dough roll on a cookie sheet and bake at 375° for about 35 minutes.

Be warned, you may have a blow out as seen below. This happens almost every time to me, but it's still completely edible!


Cut the bread into about 3 inch slices (unless you're my husband, and just take half of it right of the bat, haha!) Enjoy your warm, gooey sandwich! I hope it's delicious!



Here are some common combinations I use:

Salami
chicken breast lunch meat
Pepperoni
Provolone cheese
Cheddar cheese
Basil and Italian seasoning
(I sometimes add a little pesto to this if I have it)

chicken breast lunch meat
Turkey breast
Provolone cheese
Colby Jack cheese
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cut and seeded
dusting of garlic powder

chicken breast lunch meat
Turkey Salami
Pepperoni
Provolone Cheese
Sharp Cheddar cheese
Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce
basil and oregano
garlic powder

If you have any questions on what spices to use or other combinations, leave me a comment and we can brainstorm together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?