Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Converting to Crock Pot Cooking: Barbecue Chicken

This recipe came from a favorite baked chicken recipe I have. It turned out similar, and was definitely easier, but the sauce wasn't quite as thick as when it bakes so I think I may have to simmer it on the stove for a few minutes next time rather than mix and dump like I did!

Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken

1 lb. chicken breast
2 t onion powder
3 T brown sugar
2 t ground mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T worchestshire
1 t liquid smoke (you can omit this if you don't have it, but if you do, it adds a great flavor)
3/4 C ketchup
1/3 C vinegar
1/2 C water

Thaw the chicken breasts before placing in the slow cooker. Mine were mostly thawed before I started, but I would have preferred them completely thawed - just want you to know it's OK if they're not ;).

In a bowl, mix together all of the remaining ingredients. I like to use a whisk to break up the chunkier spices like the brown sugar.

Now this is the part I didn't do this time, but follows the baked recipe and what I will be doing next time. Heat a skillet (more surface area is better here) and pour in the mixed ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Once the sauce has thickened slightly after simmering, add to the slow cooker.

I cooked this on High for about 4 hours. I would recommend Low for 6-8 hours. This meal especially tastes great with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed veggies! I don't have a final picture as it fell apart quite a bit and we were hungry at this point and excited to try it!

If you try this, let me know what you think! I'm excited to be converting all the baked recipes and hoping that more turn out like this one did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?