Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easy Chicken Leftovers

When it's just me at home for dinner, I don't like to cook, so I usually improvise with leftovers, sandwiches or wraps of somesort. We had a lot of leftovers in our fridge last week, so I was trying to use up as many as I could. I don't have any real specifics for this idea since I made it up as I went.

The basic of this idea was to use up the leftover shredded chicken breast. Since my go to when it's just me is sandwiches, but I was out of bread, I opted for a tortilla shell. What ended up happening was different flavored chicken tortilla wraps, and I was pleased!

What You'll Need

(This is what I used, but feel free to use different spices, toppings, etc!)

tortillas
shredded chicken, leftovers
cheddar cheese
tomato sauce
Italian flavor: basil, garlic, onion powder, oregano
Mexican flavor: chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion powder, sour cream


I spread tomato sauce on the first tortilla. I seasoned it by sprinkling some basil, garlic, onion powder and oregano for an Italian flavored. I added some chicken on top and added a little bit more sprinkling of basil. I topped the chicken with cheddar cheese (since we all know I love cheese!) and zapped it in the microwave for 30 seconds.


I rolled this up and enjoyed the warmness inside! It's definitely not packed full of flavor, but you could make it that way by amping up the seasonings and toppings. But like I said, I was going for quick, easy and use up what I had.


For my second roll up I decided to go with a chicken taco type feel. I again spread some tomato sauce on the tortilla but this time spiced it with cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powder. I added the chicken, seasoned again, then topped with cheese before microwaving for 30 seconds. Once it was warm, I added some sour cream on top.


I think the best part of this idea is that if you wanted to make this into a family meal, everyone can make theirs according to what they want for dinner! I had both Italian and Mexican flavors in one meal! If you like Chinese, try it with some soy sauce and ginger. Love curry, use your imagination! Chicken can be flavored with just about anything, so take your favorite spices and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?