Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Cheesy Ham and Macaroni

This is a hearty warm dish that can also be a great use for leftover ham. I often remember my mom fixing mac and cheese on the side when we had ham for dinner, so this dish combines the two into a tasty casserole. This recipe is from my grandma.


Cheesy Ham and Macaroni

Yield: 8 servings

8 oz. macaroni
4 T butter
1/4 C flour
1/2 t salt
pepper
2 C milk
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 C cooked ham, diced
4 oz mushrooms (if desired)
1/2 C crushed crackers


Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside in pot.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour as well as salt and pepper until smooth. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and add cheese. Heat until cheese is melted.

Add in ham and mushrooms if you are using them. Cook until ham is warmed.

Pour cheese and ham mixture over noodles and mix well. Pour into greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Top with crushed crackers - I've used Ritz or Keebler Club, just not saltines as you want the buttery taste.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350°.


I cut this recipe in half for the two of us for a meal and leftovers for lunch. I place it in an 8" x 8" pan and it works quite well. It also tastes great with steamed broccoli on the side for your veggie!

For this recipe I like to use a cheese block and shred the cheese myself. This makes it easier to melt and I think gives it a richer flavor than just a bag. Also, you get much more out of block of cheese than a bag of pre-shredded.

I'm thinking I might try and combine this recipe with my baked mac and cheese sauce recipe. I'm not sure yet as that may be a little more cheesier since it is for a side dish and for this main dish you want the meat to stand out a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?