Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Decorative Pantry Storage Solutions

This is quite an old project. I was tired of all my spice packets falling through the gaps in my pantry shelving so I needed a storage solution. The second box for baggies and foil was really just to condense the amount of space these items took up in my pantry since I have very little drawer space to house these items.

spice box storage

We'll start with the spice box, since it is much more simple. To make this box I started with a deep cube box - mine was from bulk granola bars. I cut the box in half to make it a deep tray and allow for stacking if needed. You could really use a smaller box if you like - I could see Pop Tarts boxes working great to hold spice packets and other small pantry items.

I used white glue to wrap the sides of the box in leftover scrapbook paper, the size I used for my spare change jar also fit great around the sides of this box. You can also use wrapping paper if you like, but I would suggest to probably double layer it to prevent easy tearing. Lastly, I added a little tag made from scrap paper and used some stickers to make my label. (The "s" letters are made from two "c" stickers :-) )


The second box started out much larger, and honestly isn't what I originally pictured. That being said, it still functions how I intended for it. The notch in the middle is to allow the small baggie boxes to dispense straight from the storage box rather than have to take them out each time.


With this type of storage solution, you will want to check and see if your shelves are tall enough to house your aluminum foil, etc. vertical -- my shelves have an overhang so the box has to be tilted to fit under that but will fit on the shelf fine. I wrapped this box and labeled it in the same way as the first. Again, you could use wrapping paper if you like, but I found it easier to just stick some paper on each side rather than figure out where to fold to prevent bunched wrapping paper!


A large box like this might not be something you have on hand, but a large cereal box just might be! I remember doing this as a kid to store magazines and notebooks in my room. Make sure the foil containers will fit within the box first and if they do, cut a corner off of the box so it looks like a magazine holder, like the picture below.

https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10224&item=2579986

Wrap your box in paper to cover up the cereal part and you've got your custom storage solution! Your pantry will be a lot less cluttered with so many tedious items taking up space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?