Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes

I hope everyone had a blessed Easter celebrating our Risen Savior!

Potatoes were always a staple at home for me growing up. This ham and potatoes dish made it onto the dinner table quite often as well. It's a great comfort food dish for a cold day and you can also make it using leftover ham - great for after Easter! My mom always made a much larger dish than the measurements I have below, but you can easily double the four serving dish to eight and just enlarge your baking dish.

Just a warning - I don't measure any of these ingredients out, I completely go by looks on what I remember from growing up. I know my mom always made it this way too - I asked once I was out on my own and she didn't have any measurements to give me! If anything, I've erred on the side of not enough so you can always add more.

leftover ham and potatoes

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes

1 C ham, diced (great to use leftover ham)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (this last time I used a roasted garlic flavor which worked well)
1/2 to 3/4 can of milk (use the soup can to measure)
1/2 to 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 to 3 baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, diced
salt
pepper

In a bowl, combine the soup and milk. Mix until you have a smooth consistency. Add in the cheese, salt and pepper to taste and any other seasonings that your family enjoys - I think a little cayenne pepper might spice it up a bit!

Add your ham and onion to the mixture and combine. Add in the sliced potatoes - the thinner they are sliced the easier they will bake and cook.


Pour mixture into an 8" x 8" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for about 1 hour 15 minutes. You can check it at about an hour to see how the potatoes are doing or if they need longer. At this point you can also top with extra cheese if you so desire.


I hope this gives you another alternative to use up that leftover Easter ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?