Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Baked Mac & Cheese

I received this recipe from my sister-in-law awhile back. I'm not sure where she got it, so I apologize to the original source! I haven't made this in a long time, but it was sounding really good so I made sure to put it on my menu. It also helped me use up the macaroni noodles that have been in the pantry for quite some time.

I'm going through and trying to make recipes using up a lot of the things in my pantry. I know it may be a little early since we're not moving until September, but this will help me remember to not stock up at the grocery store. Plus, we aren't planning to take ANY food with us on this move even though I've heard they will move non-perishables. It just makes me nervous to think about some food sitting in our container or whatever for 6-8 weeks or more on its way to Hawaii. Yep, we're moving to Hawaii!

But anyway, food. cheese. yummy. :)

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

8 oz. macaroni noodles
2 T butter
1/2 C dry bread crumbs
1 T flour
8 oz. cheddar cheeses (I use block sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe)
1/2 t salt
1/4 mustard powder
1/4 t pepper (I add more since I really like pepper in my mac and cheese)
1 1/2 C milk

Boil macaroni noodles according to box instructions and drain well.

In a saucepan, melt the butter on LOW HEAT. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended. Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.
Sometimes I like to combine the dry ingredients that go in together in a small bowl. 1. It makes me feel like I'm on a cooking show (lol) and 2. It makes it really quick to add everything in. Other times I just measure and pour directly; the choice is yours.
Gradually stir in the milk and cook until mixture thickens. (I honestly have a hard time with the mixture thickening, and it's turned out fine each time. My advice is to give it a little bit of time to try and thicken, and if it doesn't, keep moving on.)

Add cheese slowly, stirring constantly. As you can see in the pictures, the sauce will change a lot of color as the cheese melts.
I started shredding it since it melts better, but got tired since I injured my back lifting weights this week :(
 
Place macaroni in a greased two quart pan. Pour the cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs (feel free to use more or less depending on your tastes. I also used seasoned last time and it turned out really yummy!)

Baked at 350° for 20 minutes. It will be bubbly and the bread crumbs should be golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?