Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Use it until it's gone - candles!

I hate wasting anything; even a piece of paper written on one side, I'll write on the back side, just to make sure I use it all.

Well, the other day I lit the candle in the living room only to have it self-extinguish within a minute. Alas, it was gone. So, I got out my candle warmer to melt the candle and use the remaining wax. I did this for a few days and still had the great smell in my home; however, I noticed the level of liquid was not decreasing by much. That's fine, but I was ready to use this candle up and move on to another.

So I was standing there looking at the candle on the warmer and I also see a cute little jar I had cleaned (see here for how I clean my jars). Idea struck! Why not pour the liquid candle into this new, smaller diameter jar so it will burn! And I can also add the three other almost gone candles sitting on the top of my fridge to the jar as well! Here is my finished project:

Thus began my evening project! My husband got me some rope out of the shed and tied a nifty knot that allowed the rope to stand on it's own. (I didn't see him do it and it was covered in wax before I took a picture, sorry!) I would melt a candle and pour it into the jar. It cooled while I started melting my next candle, and then poured it in the jar.

Only one more layer left to go!
All my jars are empty and can now be recycled! What a great project.   
If I had thought a little more ahead of time this could even have made a great, inexpensive gift for a friend. I definitely would have used a real wick and made sure to pour the different layers slower and more smoothly to avoid bubbles and discoloration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?