Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lasagna Rollups

This is a great freezer meal, which is great this week since I've been sick and we just got over hosting family, so I've really not been in the mood to cook. I combined a recipe I was given and a picture of a recipe on Pinterest (I didn't pin it or look at the link, so not really sure how close mine is to it).

The other great thing about this recipe was it was completely made from leftovers - I didn't buy anything new for this one! I made these a few weeks back, froze them and we enjoyed them this week. Since I was using leftovers only, I was able to make just four rollups but you can easily make this expand with more ingredients.


Lasagna Rollups

5 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (as much as you can =) )
1 C. ricotta cheese
3/4 C. mozzarella cheese
1 large egg
1/2 t. garlic powder
4 lasagna noodles
~1/2 C. spaghetti or marinara sauce (more or less depending on your taste)

Boil the lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Try and use a large pot if possible since it's imperative the noodles don't break, and I have the worst time with lasagna noodles. I generally use no-boil noodles now, which is why I had just a few regular leftover for this meal. Lay the noodles out flat to allow them to cool, flipping them so they don't stick to the counter or cutting board.

In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, spinach, egg and garlic powder. Mix well and ensure the egg is completely beaten within the mix.

Carefully spoon the cheese mixture along the length of a noodle, leaving a little space on the sides and at the opposite end from which you plan to start rolling (the filling will press down the length of the noodle, so leaving a little space will avoid mess and using too much filling).

Roll up the noodles with the filling inside. Carefully place the rollups in a freezer bag until you are ready to use.

When you are ready to eat your rollups, preheat your oven to 350°. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the frozen rollups in the dish. Cover with the sauce and sprinkle with a little mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish and bake for about an hour. I cooked mine for 45 minutes per the first recipe I was adjusting and they weren't very warm, so be sure to check them before serving.


You can always make this recipe with a meaty filling instead of spinach; I think I might try and make it that way next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?