Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Switching up Recipes: Converting to Crock Pot Cooking!

This has been a longtime goal of mine. I started toying with this idea around Christmas. I wanted to have a nice meal once we got back from Christmas Eve service, but I didn't want to have to cook everything real quick in the oven once we got home.

Enter the crock pot. :)

I had found a great pork tenderloin recipe online I wanted to try, but it was all in the oven and on the stove. I began searching simply for a pork tenderloin recipe in the crock pot, just to give me an idea of how long to cook it in there.

I made the marinade according to directions, well, using what I had on hand and substituting where I didn't. Instead of marinating for a few hours, I just placed the juices in the crock pot with the meat. I still had to make the sauce for on top once we got home, but that only took me about 15 minutes; much quicker too since I had pre-measured everything before church.The meat came out so incredibly tender and delicious it made making this recipe in the crock pot a no brainer for the future!


All that being said, I've definitely started getting my brain thinking about how I will adapt our eating and my cooking habits once we move to Hawaii. We've talked to quite a few friends and I've gotten this information from them so there are a few things I will need to consider:
1. food goes bad fairly quickly
2. going to the commissary will be the best choice for price, but may be far away and very crowded
3. it's going to be warm - we may not want to use the oven very often
4. it's Hawaii! I don't want to have to spend all day every day in the kitchen!

So, for now I plan on trying to convert some of my oven recipes to the crock pot. It should be nice even for South Carolina weather now too since it is starting to warm up already. My next step will be to begin the endeavor of freezer cooking, or at least freezer preparing for meals.

I'm excited to start this project and look forward to documenting what I can here on the blog! If anyone has any tips or ideas for converting recipes, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's nourishing you today?